Saturday, September 18, 2010

Better Than TV

Sometimes we just forget the awesomeness of what is around us. We fall into the rut of taking beauty for granted and pass it by with nary a glance while our brain becomes increasingly trained to classify it as "just normal" and thus not acknowledge its presence in the day-to-day.

With the beginning of the new school year and a new school, there have been a number of stressors each and every day in my son's life. And I have been house-bound since Thursday afternoon while my son has attempted different means of coping with the transition.

Today, I am very thankful for birds.

We have local crows, ravens, woodpeckers, sparrows, and other winged wonders visiting our yard on any given day. Today I tossed out some seed and, in return, had wonderful window pauses throughout the day.

I could have chosen to not toss out seed. I could have chosen to barely acknowledge the birds' presence, or to completely ignore it.

Instead, I purposefully took the time to consider it and encourage it and enjoy it.

Peace. Calm. Amusement. Wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment..